Psychological Trauma

Mary Ross, PhD, RPsych, discusses psychological trauma.

Loading the player...

Mary Ross, PhD, RPsych, discusses psychological trauma.
Video transcript

Featuring Dr. Mary Ross, PhD, RPsych

Duration: 1 minute

Psychological trauma can come from all sorts of different things.

It can come from a history of child abuse, it can come from being in a car accident, it can come from an illness, and it can come from the loss of a loved one. It can even come from a very difficult relationship breakup.

Sometimes, people unfortunately deal with the trauma feelings by maladaptive means of coping: turning to substances and acting-out behaviour. Eventually, that may cause enough of a problem that they're sent to their GP or sent to a psychologist directly.

You can also find a therapist or a psychologist directly - you can look them up in the phone book even. Often, you can go to a community mental health centre, who will then hook you up with a psychologist, or sometimes a whole team to help you deal with the trauma process.

If you have questions about psychological trauma, contact a local psychologist.

Presenter: Dr. Mary Ross, Psychologist, Vancouver, BC

Local Practitioners: Psychologist

This content is for informational purposes only, and is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified healthcare professional with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.