Having Problems Conceiving? When Should You Suspect Infertility

Dr. Alison MacInnes, MD, discusses Having Problems Conceiving? When Should You Suspect Infertility

Loading the player...

Dr. Alison MacInnes, MD, discusses Having Problems Conceiving? When Should You Suspect Infertility
Video transcript

Featuring Dr. Alison MacInnes, MD, FRCPC

Duration: 1 minute, 42 seconds

So infertility is an increasingly common problem. Most people take fertility for granted, and nowadays put career first and delay childbearing until a time when often fertility declines.

Most people take it for granted that when they choose to have a child it'll just happen and are actually quite taken by surprise when it doesn't and are frustrated by it, so it is an increasinlgy common problem as we age and delay childbearing.

Well fertility declines as we age and the cutoff that most doctors use is age 35, where there's a significant decline in fertility. So really infertility is definied as not achieving a pregnancy after a year of unprotected intercourse - that's primary infertility. Secondary infertility is someone who's already had a baby and then goes on to not be able to have a second child.

So really we start to investigate in a year in someone under 35, whereas someone over 35, infertility investigations after about six months. So some of the options that are out there for them are definitely to discuss it with their healthcare provider. Start the investigations, often times its easy to treat, and the couples go onto conceiving.

However, if the investigations don't show the cause or if it's a more complicated situation, then there are infertility clinics where the couples can be referred. So for people with questions about infertility and want more information, definitely speak with your healthcare provider or with any of the infertility clinics.

Presenter: Dr. Alison MacInnes, Family Doctor, Vancouver, BC

Local Practitioners: Family Doctor

This content is for informational purposes only, and is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified healthcare professional with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.

QA Chat
Ask us a health question on
diagnosis/treatment options...