The Symptoms of Stroke and The Need For Immediate Treatment

Dr. Dean Johnston, MD, MHSc, FRCPC, Neurologist, discusses The Symptoms of Stroke and The Need For Immediate Treatment .

Loading the player...

Dr. Dean Johnston, MD, MHSc, FRCPC, Neurologist, discusses The Symptoms of Stroke and The Need For Immediate Treatment .
13181 Views
Share
Video transcript

Featuring Dr. Dean Johnston, MD, MHSc, FRCPC, Neurologist

The Symptoms of Stroke and The Need For Immediate Treatment

Duration: 1 minute, 54 seconds

A stroke is a sudden loss of brain function due to a problem with the blood supply to the brain tissue, and there are two types of stroke.

One is related to or caused by blockage of a blood vessel so that the brain tissue downstream from the blockage dies. And that affects about 80 percent of stroke patients. About 20 percent of the time, a stroke is due to a leakage of blood from the blood vessel into the surrounding tissue.

They can produce identical symptoms, depending on the part of the brain that’s affected, and it’s difficult for doctors to determine which type of stroke has caused the problem unless the patient has had a CAT scan or a CT scan.

Stroke symptoms depend on the part of the brain that’s affected. Sometimes stroke symptoms are transient, meaning they will resolve after a few minutes or up to an hour. And we call this a transient ischemic attack, a TIA, or some patients will call it a mini stroke.

And sometimes they will be persistent. It’s impossible for patients to know whether these symptoms will resolve or not at the onset, and therefore, any patient or an individual who’s experiencing stroke symptoms, should seek immediate medical attention.

Many people who suffer stroke will not recover from the effects of a stroke. About one in five people who suffer a stroke will end up in a long-term care facility, requiring assistance for the rest of their lives.

About two out of those five patients who suffer a stroke will have some form of disability, such that they will require assistance for things that they take for granted in their everyday life now. Only one of those five patients will escape a stroke with little or no disability.

If you think you are experiencing the symptoms of a stroke, you must seek immediate medical attention. If you have questions about stroke, you should discuss that with your family doctor.

 

Presenter: Dr. Dean Johnston

Video Quiz ( 10 participated.)

Test your knowledge by answering the following questions:

Questions True False  
1 There are two types of stroke.  80% of patients get a blockage in the brain that cuts off oxygen to the brain tissue and the other 20% have leakage of a blood vessel.

 
2 A CAT scan is used to determine what type of stroke a patient has had and what part of the brain it is effecting.

 
3 A transient ischemic attack (or TIA) is when the symptoms of a stroke resolve within minutes to an hour of onset.