This is a condition of temporary closure of the upper respiratory passage airway during sleep. This leads to frequent cessation of breathing for ten seconds or more (apnea). Apnea events of 20 per hour is pathological. It can lead to serious life long complications which are preventable through treatment.
The seriousness of Obstructive Sleep Apnea is often ignored because of the humorous nature of the two primary complaints by patients (snoring and sleepiness). Patients often suffer for years before getting help!
Complications and Presentation
- Night time sleep is rarely refreshing
- Light sleep and frequent interruptions, fatigue and lack of energy
- Daytime sleepiness and a choking sensation at night
- Dry throat in the morning
- Frequent headaches
- Poor work performance
- Reduction in mental concentration, alertness, and memory
Spouse/Bed Partner Complaints
- Loud excessive snoring
- Daytime sleepiness
- Jerky leg movements while asleep
- Patient stops breathing while asleep
- Restless sleep at night